Biking in Barcelona
Recommendations for riding a bicycle in Barcelona
In recent years, Barcelona has become a bike friendly city. thanks to the city’s effort in mantaining and creating new bike routes.
Where to rent a bike in Barcelona
Bicing is a very popular public bike rental service. However, this system is only for residents and requires to have a bank account and a permanent Barcelona address, so the best alternative is to rent one or book a bicycle tour like some of the following:
- 3-hour City Sights Highlight Bike Tour
- Barcelona on Bike Tapas & Sightseeing Tour
- Montjuic 3-hour Bike Tour
Bike lanes in Barcelona
Check this map for the available bike lanes in Barcelona:
*(Click on the image to enlarge)
Recommendations for biking in Barcelona
- Bike helmets are required by law, but the practice is not heavily reinforced. Still, it’s recommended to avoid any possible injuries.
- Biking on sidewalks is allowed in some cases. As long as it’s 5 meters (16 Ft) or wider. However, an officer might stop you and demand that you either walk with your bike or ride it on the street. Remember that pedestrians have priority.
- Don’t drink alcohol if you plan on taking a bike. Police officers will have no trouble stopping you and asking for an alcohol breath test. If positive, the fine can be substantial, so if you’re drinking it’s better to walk with your bike.
How to move around Barcelona
Learn all the means of transportation available in Barcelona
The metro is the most popular transportation system in the city. Overall, is the fastest and easiest way to move around Barcelona.
More than 200 bus lines and 17 night routes operate in Barcelona, making it a fast and unexpensive way for getting to your destination.
The Barcelona Tram is quite new, extremely modern, works smoothly and services some areas of the city not well connected in the past.
Cable cars & funiculars
These transport systems service mainly touristic spots, whilst enjoying the best views in Barcelona.
Taxis in Barcelona are not expensive, so it’s the best choice for a quick trip. It’s the fastest way of getting to the airport from the city center.
Transport from the airport to Barcelona
Here you’ll find all information you need about getting from Barcelona airport to the city center.