Plan your visit, buy tickets and discover Gaudí's ultimate masterpiece
The Sagrada Familia is the most famous building and church in Barcelona (and probably Spain, too). Considered the masterpiece of renowned architect Gaudi, the basilica is one of the most striking monuments ever built in the world and naturally, one of the top things to do in Barcelona.
This monumental church gets around 4.5 million visitors a year, and is one of the most visited landmarks in the country, so bear that in mind,and try to make the most of your trip by buying a fast entrance ticket, before it gets sold out for the dates of your visit.
Architecture & history
There is absolutely no other building in the world featuring such a genius mixture between Gothic and Art Nouveau styles. Antoni Gaudí took over the project in 1883, a year after construction had begun, and completely reshaped the project to fit his unique style.
Unfortunately, Gaudí died in 1926 when only a quarter of the project had been constructed. Sadly, most of the blueprints left were burned in a fire, therefore, all that's been built eversince has been a wide interpretation of Gaudi's architecture.
Fun facts of Sagrada Familia
- In 2019, Sagrada Familia was the most visited monument in Barcelona, with 4,5 million visitors.
- Only the Mapfre Tower and the Arts Hotel (both 154 meters) at The Olympic Port stand that tall. When completed (in 2026), the Sagrada Familia will stand at 170 meters and will be the tallest building in Barcelona.
- It can be seen from anywhere in Barcelona. Especially from Tibidabo mountain or from the Castle in Montjuïc, you'll be able to witness the importance of this monument in the city.
- In European cinema it appears in Almodovar's Oscar winning film “Todo sobre mi madre” (All about my mother) and in the French film “L'auberge Espagnol“.
- Curiously, it was proposed as one of the new seven wonders of the world, but it didn't make the final cut.
Tickets to visit Sagrada Familia
Stopping over the Sagrada Familia should be top priority if you're in the city for the first time. It's one of the places to visit in Barcelona you just can't miss.
Visiting the basilica it's an enjoyable experience and a great way to be introduced into Gaudí's architecture. Besides, it offers amazing views of the surrounding Eixample District, Barcelona's own Big Apple.
Opening Hours and tickets
- Get your fast-track ticket here
- October to March 9:00 to 18:00
- April to September: 9:00 to 20:00
- December 25th and 26th, January 1st and 6th: 9:00 to 14:00
How to get to Sagrada Familia
Metro: Lines 2 and 5. Sagrada Familia Station
Address: Mallorca Street 401, 08013
Sagrada Familia - Tours and Tickets
Enjoy this Barcelona icon with a fast track entrance and guided tour in English
Sagrada Familia guided tour - Fast Track entrance
This 1,5 hour guided tour will give you instant access to Barcelona’s biggest landmark: Sagrada Familia
Sagrada Familia tour + fast track and towers
Guided tour that includes fast track entrance to Sagrada Familia and visit to the towers
Sagrada Familia, Park Güell + city tour
Entrance to Sagrada Familia and Park Güell, plus an exterior visit to La Pedrera and Casa Batlló