The second longest underground system in Spain
The Metro is the most popular transportation system in Barcelona, with 12 lines, a length of 150 Km (93 Mi) and 186 stations, stands as the second longest underground system in Spain. By far, is the fastest and easiest way to move around Barcelona.
The Barcelona Metro system is extremely intuitive and easy to use. In fact, all the signs in the whole network are written in Catalan, Spanish and English.
Barcelona Metro Map
*Click on the image to enlarge
- On weekdays, from Monday to Thursday and on public holidays: from 5:00 am to 12:00 midnight
- Fridays and public holidays: from 5:00 am to 2:00 am
- Saturdays and on certain public holidays: opens at 5.00 am, then continuous service through Sunday until 12:00 midnight
- 24 December: from 5:00 am to 11:00 pm
Barcelona Metro Tickets
The Barcelona Metro has a wide variety of tickets to suit everyone’s needs. Tickets can be bought directly in every Metro station through automatic vending machines, all accepting cash, credit and debit cards. Buses on board only sell single tickets (2,20€).
The Barcelona transport system is divided into six zones. Zone 1 covers all the Metropolitan area of the city, so unless you’re planning to travel outside Barcelona, you should stick with Zone 1 tickets.
Most popular tickets & prices 2022
- Bicycles are only accepted on the first and last carriages, or indicated otherwise.
- Children under 4 years old can travel for free.
- Some stations still have the old turnstiles and the ticket gets validated on the left side. The modern turnstile (as pictured above), the ticket gets validated on the right side.
- Travelling with a suitcase (even of large proportions) is widely accepted. The Metro carriages are big enough to transport them easily.
- Every map on the Metro network clearly indicates which station is adapted for disabled people.
Other means of Transportation in Barcelona
The Tram in Barcelona doesn’t cover the entire Barcelona surface, but it services some areas of the city not well connected
After the Metro, the bus is one of the most popular transportation options in Barcelona. It can be a more direct and efficient transportation option.