Park Guell is one of the most fantastic designs ever built by Gaudi. A landmark on its own, it features amazing views of Barcelona and plenty of modernist works. Needless to say, as soon you pass the entrance, you’ll notice right away that this isn’t an ordinary park.
Park Guell History
Curiously, Park Güell wasn’t originally intented to be a park, but rather a project for luxurious homes. In 1900, the site was just a rocky hill with nothing but vegetation around, in the vecinity of some isolated upper class country houses. The result was one of the most fascinating works by Gaudí.
The intention of the project was to take advantage of the breathtaking views of Barcelona and the clean fresh air, away from the factories, in order to build a top of the line housing complex.
In Park Guell, there are plenty of paths and vegetation to enjoy, but the architectural estructures are the glue that holds the whole place together.
It’s located on the hill of El Carmel, in the Gràcia District.
Fun facts of Park Guell
- It was declared UNESCO Worldwide Heritage Site in 1984.
- Below the main terrace, the Hypostyle Room is an intriguing place filled with doric columns and beautiful ceiling mosaics.
- The Gaudí House Museum is now a museum displaying the original furniture and other items designed by Gaudí. It udes to be the former residence of the architect and his family.
- The most photographed element in all Park Guell is the Dragon, a beautiful sculpture and fountain located in the stairs that lead to the park.
- The Terrace, a square that covers the main entrance to the park, features a serpentine seating bench all covered in trencadís.
Park Guell Tickets
Enjoy Park Güell in a 1,5 hour guided tour and learn all about this magnificent modernist work by Gaudí.
BEST OPTION: Park Güell Fast Track Entrance and Guided Tour
- October 25th to March 28th, from 8:30 to 18:15 (last entry until 17:30)
- March 29th to May 3rd, from 8:00 to 20:00 (last entry until 19:30)
- May 4th to September 6th, from 8:00 to 21:30 (last entry until 21:00)
- September 7th 4th to October 24th, from 8:00 to 20:00 (last entry until 19:30)
How to get to Park Guell
Buses: #24, #92 or the Barcelona City Tour Hop On Hop Off.
Metro: Line 3. Vallcarca Station.