© Aleksandar Todorovic/stock.adobe.com
Arenas de Barcelona is the most unusual and historic shopping center in Barcelona. Located in Plaza España, it wasn’t built for commercial purposes, instead it was originally conceived as a bullring in the early 1900’s, and as such it became one of the most celebrated bullrings in Spain.
A bit of history
After decades of glory and having been subject to many other different uses such as headquarters for the Republican Army during the Spanish Civil War, as well as other sports events, the last bullfight took place in 1977 and it was left to abandonment in the early 1990’s.
After many years the London based and prestigious firm of Richard Rogers + Partners (responsible for the Pompidou Center at Paris among others) was chosen to renovate it into a shopping and entertainment center.
Its great location right beside the Plaza España Square and the Montjuic Fair Compound, was pivotal for this huge undertaking, whose objective was to demolish all the intern structure and mantain the beautiful Spanish style facade.
Services at Arenas
The result was unveiled in March 2011, becoming the latest addition to the city’s growing capacity for this type of multi-purpose facilities. Every different space is clearly divided into levels, basically laid out like this:
Enjoy a comfortable private transfer from/to the Airport in Barcelona – Book well in advance to guarantee the service of your transfer.
- Basement. Access to the parking lot on and entrance to the Metro and FGC Railway Services. Several supermarkets, restaurants, cafes and the famous technology department store, Fnac.
- Ground floor. Specialized stores and cafes.
- First floor. Some large retail outlets and specialized stores.
- Second floor. 12 screen Cinema multiplex with the latest 3D technology, films showcased in Spanish only.
- Dome. The Dome and last floor consists of a round viewpoint, offering breathtaking views of Plaza España and Montjüic. Entrance is free of charge and it’s accessible through the inside escalators and an external panoramic litf.
- Arenas de Barcelona shopping hours and the Museum of Rock work from Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 22:00.
- Restaurants open from 10:00 until 00:30, 1:30 or 2:30.
- The Cinema starts at 16:00 from Monday to Thursday to 1:00, Fridays and days prior to holidays from 16:00 to 2:30, Saturdays, Sundays and holidays from 11:00 to 14:00 and from 16:00 to 1:00.
- The parking lot is open the 365 days of the year.
How to get there:
Metro: Lines L1 and L3. Pl. Espanya Station
FGC Railway: Lines L8, S4, S8, S33. Pl. Espanya Station
Bus: #9, #13, #23, #27, #37, #46, #50, #56, #65, #91 and #109
Aerobus: Bus to Prat Airport Terminals 1 and 2
Address: Gran Via de les Corts Catalanes #373-385, 08015. Barcelona
Map of the Area
The best tours in Barcelona
Experience the magic and passion of a live flamenco show in Barcelona with front row seats. Enjoy a truly authentic show of this traditional Spanish art in the most intimate setting, with the company of accomplished dancers, guitarists and singers in the heart of Barcelona.
Join this full day guided tour that includes a brunch and wine tasting at the Torres Cellars in the Penedés region, plus the breathtaking landscape of Montserrat and the stunning city of Sitges.
Admire the most famous monument in Barcelona, the Sagrada Familia through this 1,5 hour guided tour that includes fast track entrance and visit to the towers for extraordinary views of Barcelona.
Enjoy Girona and Figueres, Salvador Dalí’s hometown in this guided full day tour. Walk through the picturesque streets of medieval Girona and visit the Dalí-Theater Museum in Figueres, the biggest collection of the surrealist artist.
Get the best of Gaudí in Barcelona in one single tour. Experience the creative genius of Gaudí with this 4,5 hour guided tour that includes entrance to Sagrada Familia and Park Güell, plus an exterior visit to La Pedrera and Casa Batlló.
Visit one of Barcelona’s most amazing landmarks in this 1,5 hour guided tour of Park Güell. Learn all about this magnificent modernist work by Gaudi, one of the places that make Barcelona a unique city.
Immerse yourself in the magic of Montserrat, one of the most special locations near Barcelona. This morning guided tour invites you to explore this mountain retreat, as well as its monastery, funiculars and mountain paths leading to spectacular views.
Enjoy Barcelona to the fullest with this guided morning tour, featuring the best of Barcelona. Explore the Gothic Quarter, the Gothic Cathedral, Montjuïc, Poble Espanyol and much more.
Experience the magic of the fabulous Girona’s historical center through the scenarios of Game of Thrones. Explore the medieval city, one of the settings of the famous hit TV show, in this 6 hour guided tour from Barcelona.
This 1,5 hour guided tour will give you instant access to Barcelona’s biggest landmark: Sagrada Familia. Enjoy the most impressive architecture and ornaments with a Fast Track entrance, no queues.
Comentarios y recomendaciones