Panoramic of the Poblenou
Poblenou neighborhood has gone through an intense transformation in the past decade, with the development of new areas and the replacement and renovation of the old factories and warehouses into new office buildings, cool lofts, art galleries and youth hostels.
Poblenou (New Town), it’s a large neighborhood in Barcelona. Formerly called the “Manchester of Catalonia“, it was the main industrial center of Barcelona during the 19th century and a working class neighborhood. It entered a slow process of decay and abandonment when industries started moving to the outskirts, but in recent years it’s been reinvented.
The main reason for this huge revamp is the development of several key areas, some that started in the late eighties as with the case of the Olympic Village and others that are still in process, for example the 22@ District, an ambitious plan to turn Poblenou into a technological and innovation district.
The stretch between Glòries Plaza and the Forum is now filled with exciting hotels, highrises, shopping areas and restaurants. Poblenou is a melting pot where old and new blend together and lots of contrasts are still visible. Old buildings now turned into trendy art galleries and youth hostels coexist with new architecture built with the latest technological innovations.
What to do at Poblenou
- Check out the renovated Glòries Plaza with the recent opening of Barcelona’s Design Hub. The new explanade it’s the perfect place to contemplate Agbar Tower.
- Visit Glòries Shopping Mall or Diagonal Mar for the best shopping experience.
- Take a walk down the traditional Rambla del Poblenou, for drinks or tapas. The most busy street of Poblenou has a lively atmosphere and is the most direct way to hit the beaches.
- Most of Poblenou is filled with bike routes and wide avenues, so it’s the best vehicle for moving around.
- Enjoy the best music festivals down by the Forum, like the upcoming Primavera Sound.
- Dress up and head for the 24th floor at the fancy Meliá Barcelona Sky Hotel for the best food and drinks at Dos Cielos Restaurant, with an outstanding view of Barcelona.
Getting to Poblenou:
Metro Line 1: Marina and Glòries Station
Metro Line 4: Ciutadella Villa Olímpica, Bogatell, Llacuna, Poblenou, Selva de Mar and El Maresme I Fòrum Station
Tram T4 Line: From Ciutadella Villa Olímpica to Fòrum Station
Map of the Area
Comentarios y recomendaciones