Panoramic of the Poblenou
Poblenou has experienced an intense transformation in the past decade, with the development of new areas and the replacement and renovation of the old factories and warehouses into new office buildings, lofts and art galleries. It has become an extremely dinamic place, a fusion of old and new with a bohemian touch.
The Manchester of Catalonia
Formerly called the “Manchester of Catalonia“, Poblenou was the main industrial center of Barcelona during the 19th century and a working class neighborhood.
By the mid 1900’s, it entered a slow process of decay and abandonment when industries started moving to the outskirts. However, in recent years the whole area has been completely reinvented.
The main reason for this huge revamp is the development of several key areas. Some of these started in the late eighties, like the Olympic Village.
Others, still in process, include the 22@ District, an ambitious plan to turn Poblenou into a technological and innovation district.
What to expect
The area between Glories Plaza and the Forum is now filled with exciting new hotels, highrises, shopping areas and restaurants.
Old buildings are now turned into trendy art galleries and youth hostels coexist with new architecture built with the latest technological innovations.
In conclusion, Poblenou is a melting pot where old and new blend together and lots of contrasts are still visible.
What to see
- Check out the renovated Glòries Plaza with the recent opening of Barcelona’s Design Hub. The new explanade it’s the perfect place to contemplate Agbar Tower.
- Visit Glòries shopping center or Diagonal Mar for the best shopping experience.
- Take a walk down the traditional Rambla del Poblenou, for drinks or tapas. The most busy street of this neighborhood has a lively atmosphere and very close to the beach.
- Enjoy the best music festivals down by the Forum.
- Head for the 24th floor at the fancy Meliá Barcelona Sky Hotel for the best food and drinks at Dos Cielos Restaurant, with outstanding views of Barcelona.
See Hotels in Poblenou
How to get there
Metro Line 1: Marina and Glòries station. Line 4: Ciutadella Villa Olímpica, Bogatell, Llacuna, Poblenou, Selva de Mar and El Maresme I Fòrum station
Tram T4 Line: From Ciutadella Villa Olímpica to Fòrum station
Comentarios y recomendaciones