Barceloneta is one of the most characteristic neighborhoods in Barcelona
Barceloneta is one of the most famous neighborhoods in Barcelona. The former fishermen’s town forms an inseparable entity with the beach, and quite frankly, neither one could exist without the other. If you’re looking for where to stay in Barcelona near the beach, this is your place!
You can’t miss a visit to this dynamic part of Barcelona!
Brief history of Barceloneta
Unlike the Eixample district, that was developed in the 19th and early 20th century, Barceloneta was first laid out on the 18th century, in order to give housing for all the displaced residents with the construction of the Ciutadella.
Even though nowadays is a neighborhood in great demand, its first settlers were fishermen that lived in pretty rough conditions.
These situation changed gradually when the first houses were built. Today, Barceloneta still holds to the small fishermen’s town charm, but at the same time, it’s filled with activity, restaurants and nightlife. It’s one of the city’s magnets for leisure.
What to see in Barceloneta
Hitting the beach is top priority and it doesn’t matter the season, Barceloneta beach is the most known in the city. You can get a full glimpse of this beach from one the most famous hotels with great views in Barcelona, like the W Hotel.
You can also enjoy:
- Some of the best seafood restaurants in town. The offer is excellent and generous so is the perfect spot for dining out.
- Have a drink or snack in a “Chiringuito“. Enjoy a cocktail or beer, whilst listening to music with your feet in the sand.
- Practicing sports along the beach promenade. Biking, running and skating are very popular options.
- After the beach, head to Maremagnum for a relaxed shopping experience.
- Visit the Barcelona Aquarium, a winning choice if you travel with children. Home to over 450 different species, it has over 35 habitats and an incredible 80 mt (262 ft) long underwater tunnel.
- Finally, take a ride on Barcelona’s Port Cable Car (Aeri del Port), the easiest way to get to Montjuïc and get the best views of all the neighborhood and La Rambla. This is the real deal for getting the most exciting views of aerial Barcelona.
How to get there
Other neighborhoods in Barcelona
Famous for having the iconic gridlike layout, the Eixample is a great option to find hotels and attractions nearby.
Featuring everything from roman to 20th century buildings, this neighborhood is in the heart of the Old City, with plenty of shops, restaurants, bars and monuments.
El Born is currently one of the trendiest neighborhoods of Barcelona. Its boutiques, cafes and restaurants, make it one of the most charming areas.
Gràcia, is one of the most authentic neighborhoods in Barcelona, featuring a small town atmosphere.
This former industrial area has experienced an intense transformation, with the renovation of the old factories into new hotels, lofts and art galleries.